Friday, July 24, 2009

Sony DSLR-A900, world’s highest megapixel camera


Sony has announced a new SLR addition to its digital camera lineup, the DSLR-A900. The high-end camera takes photographs at a 24.6-megapixel resolution, and is a full-frame camera meaning its sensor is the same size as a 35mm film frame.

Phil Lubell, director of digital camera marketing at Sony Electronics said “The α (alpha) DSLR-A900 introduction solidifies Sony’s position as a leading camera manufacturer that can meet the demands of serious enthusiasts…It represents the best in sensor and image processing technologies and offers enhanced functions, performance and reliability so photographers can push their creativity to the limit.”

The A900 can accept both Sony’s proprietary Memory Stick as well as the more common Compact Flash cards, which gives you a little flexibility when it comes to saving your pictures. The camera can hold both cards simultaneously, which can give you a little additional space to save your pictures as well without having to switch out memory cards.

The A900 has a 3-inch LCD, can shot photographs continuously at a rate of one photo per every 5 seconds, and has an HDMI output to high-definition televisions. The DSLR-A900 is expected to sell for around $3000 for the body alone, and is compatible with Minolta, Sony, and Konica-Minolta lenses.

The camera is the first to use Sony’s new “Intelligent Preview” function. The function allows users to press a preview button, and then adjust things like white balance and exposure compensation before actually “taking” the picture. The changes you make to the photograph show up on the screen, which makes it easier to make minor tweaks.

I’m personally pretty excited about the preview function. I often find myself at shoots where I’m adjusting a lot of settings. With my current camera I have to take the picture, look at it, adjust, then take another picture, look at it, adjust….it gets tiresome for both me and the subject being photographed. I love the idea of being able to adjust things like my exposure on the camera while I’m looking at the picture, and being able to see in real time how the changes I’m making are affecting my image.

So, for three grand would you buy one of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment