Tuesday, January 13, 2009
The Yamaha YZF-R1 bike, launched in 1998, revolutionized the sport bike landscape by successfully combining the awesome power available previously in the true liter class (1,000cc) with the lightweight and responsiveness that a 600-class chassis affords.Over the years, despite maintaining its distinctive sharp look, the R1 has undergone technical up gradations to keep pace with the times. The 2006 edition features a short-stroke 998cc DOHC, 20-valve, liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine that produces a peak power of 175 bhp.The dual-valve fuel injection system uses motor-driven secondary throttle valves and 32-bit ECU for responsive, instantaneous power delivery. The refurbished Delta box V frame, revised forks and a 20mm longer swingarm facilitate superb handling in the R1. In 2006, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Yamaha racing in America, Yamaha released a Limited Edition yellow/white/black YZF-R1 in original Yamaha racing colours.
Yamaha YZF-R1 Technical Specifications
Yamaha R1 India
1. Light, powerful and packed with trickle-down MotoGP technology, the YZF-R1 is the most advanced Open-class production motorcycle ever built.
2. The YZF-R1 uses the YCC-T fly-by-wire throttle system for flawless response under all conditions.
3. Inline four-cylinder engine is the most powerful, tractable R1 powerplant ever, thanks partially to the world’s ﬁrst electronic variable-length intake funnel system.
4. Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed.
5. Aluminum Deltabox frame and swingarm take Open-class handling to the next performance level.
6. Six-piston radial-mount front brake calipers and 310mm discs generate the kind of braking power a bike like the R1 requires.
* Short-stroke 998cc DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine produces more tractable power than ever.
* Yamaha Chip Control Throttle controls a 32-bit ECU fuel injection system for super-responsive, smooth, instantaneous power delivery.
* Yamaha Chip Control Intake electronically adjusts intake funnel length between either 65 or 140mm for an amazingly broad, smooth powerband.
* Two-piece ergonomically designed fuel tank carries fuel in the rear section, for good centralization of mass, while the front half contains a Ram-Air-fed airbox for increased power.
* Lay-down-design cylinder head optimizes weight distribution, straightens intake tracts for improved cylinder filling and allows frame to pass over instead of around the engine for great strength and a narrow chassis.
* Closed-deck cylinder block increases strength and allows a narrow engine in spite of big, 77mm bores.
* Narrow-angle four-valve combustion chambers produce a highly efficient 12.7:1 compression ratio; 31mm titanium intake valves and 25mm exhausts controlled by new, high-lift cams flow plenty of air.
* Light and strong nutless connecting rods with fractured big ends produce a quick-revving engine with excellent high-rpm durability.
* High silicon-content ceramic-composite cylinder sleeves ensure great heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
* Close-ratio six-speed gearbox with triangulated shaft layout for great strength, compactness, and quicker acceleration.
* Ramp-type slipper clutch makes braking from speed into tight corners while downshifting smoother and therefore faster.
* Titanium underseat exhaust system (with stainless steel midpipe and catalyst) provides excellent cornering clearance and a broad, seamless powerband.
* 13-percent greater radiator capacity and an aluminum liquid-cooled oil cooler maintain stable operating temperature.
* Direct ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
* AC generator behind cylinder block produces a narrow engine with excellent cornering clearance.
* A Deltabox frame tuned for optimal flex carries the lay-down four-cylinder stressed-member style for great handling and efficient aerodynamic penetration.
* A truss-type swingarm is extremely strong and tuned for optimal traction and feedback.
* Dual 310mm front disc brakes; new, six-piston radial-mount calipers and Brembo radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever deliver amazing braking power and feel.
* Fully adjustable KYB inverted telescopic front fork with 43mm tubes has been revalved to complement other chassis changes.
* Piggyback rear shock now offers both high- and low-speed compression adjustability, rebound damping and a new, twist-style spring preload adjuster.
* Light, five-spoke wheels enhance acceleration, deceleration, handling and suspension action.
* Cool headlights provide great illumination and distinctive style, while the LED taillight is light, bright and highly efficient.
* Adjustable LCD illumination and multifunction digital gauges: adjustable shift light, odometer, dual tripmeters, water temperature, air temperature, full-time clock, lap timer and large 15,000-rpm analog tachometer.
* A fairing with big Ram-Air intakes and screwless windscreen provides maximum aerodynamic efficiency and engine performance.
* Sticky 120/70-ZR17 and 190/50-ZR17 radial tires for incredible grip and precise handling.
* Forged footpegs are extra durable and light.
* Extensive use of hollow bolts and lightweight fasteners helps trim overall weight.
* 8.6 AH battery is compact and light.
* Durable #530 O-ring–sealed drive chain.
* Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.
Features in a nutshellEngine
* Type 998cc, liquid-cooled, 16-valve, DOHC, inline four-cylinder
* Bore x Stroke 77 x 53.6mm
* Compression Ratio 12.7:1
* Carburetion Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
* Ignition TCI
* Transmission 6-speed w/multi-plate slipper clutch
* Final Drive #530 O-ring chain
* Suspension (Front) 43mm inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression damping, rebound damping; 4.7″ travel
* Suspension (Rear) Single shock w/piggyback reservoir; adjustable for hi-/lo-speed compression damping, rebound damping, spring preload
* Brakes (Front) Dual 310mm discs; radial-mount forged 6-piston calipers
* Brakes (Rear) 220mm disc w/single-piston caliper
* Tires (Front) 120/70-ZR17
* Tires (Rear) 190/50-ZR17
* Length 81.1″
* Width 28.3″
* Height 43.7″
* Seat Height 32.9”
* Wheelbase 55.7”
* Rake (Caster Angle) 24.0°
* Trail 4.0”
* Fuel Capacity 4.75 gal.
* Dry Weight 381 lbs.
* Primary Reduction Ratio 65/43 (1.512)
* Secondary Reduction Ratio 45/17 (2.647)
* Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 38/15 (2.533)
* Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 33/16 (2.063)
* Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 37/21 (1.762)
* Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 35/23 (1.522)
* Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 30/22 (1.364)
* Gear Ratio - 6th Gear 33/26 (1.269)
* Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Price: Rs. 10 Lakhs (1 million Rupees) onwards in India